Welcome to the Richmond AGO 2020 POE+ website. Please check back again soon as more information is added.
The Pipe Organ Encounter+
- Is a 4-5 day event organized by a local AGO chapter under the sponsorship of the national organization.
- Is a national program sponsored by the American Guild of Organists. Participants are admitted to POE+s on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of attendance at prior POEs, and regardless of state or country of residence, as long as they meet the following eligibility guidelines: Participants should be 19 or older, want to play the organ or currently play the organ in a church or synagogue, and be interested in improving their organ skills.
- Is open to organists ranging from beginners (proficient pianists who will learn the basics of organ playing) to advanced.
- Offers instruction in basic technique, pedaling, improvisation and registration for beginners, and skills such as hymn playing, sight reading and transposition (which may lead to qualifying as a candidate for the AGO Service Playing Certificate) for more experienced participants. Other topics include a general overview of organ literature, history, and pipe organ construction and design.
- Provides an opportunity for participation in ecumenical worship, so as to experience the role of the sacred musician.
- Most of all, provides a unique opportunity for participants to meet and interact with peers who have similar interests.
Co-Director: Stephen Henley
9201 Huguenot Rd.
Richmond, VA 23235-2307
(804) 878-4416 (home)
(804) 878-4416 (cell)